Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good

Outside world, I have survived the first 5 days of living in one of the most chaotic cities in the world. And I owe it to you to keep you up to speed with everything, so let's begin with Day 1.

Looks pretty official, eh?

January 14

After moving all of my stuff into a one-bedroom apartment the day before with 2 other roommates (who are awesome, by the way- super great girls), the entire program met at the Chicago Semester building located on Monroe and Adams...which thankfully is a quick and easy commute from the Red Line. It was your typical first impressions meeting: after breakfast, we had roughly an hour to kill before the orientation process actually began. It only took 1 student to move themselves over to their assigned seat in the classroom setting for EVERYONE ELSE to use it as a social cue to move to their seats as well. It was an amazing social experiment, I mean, you do NOT want to be that person who goes against the grain right? Yeah, that was a bust. 
As the morning took off we eventually got to the portion of the schedule where we pair up with someone and get to know them beyond their name and whether or not they are one of the two hundred people from Dordt in the program (obviously I'm exaggerating, or AM I?! Ok so there's maybe only like, 15, I decided to round up). After this, we would report back to everyone about who's who and move on with the day. UM- time out. I need my cheesy name-game icebreakers to help me actually put a name with a face! Do you need a volunteer to lead them? In true Hunger Games fashion, I would have jumped at that opportunity.

The rest of the morning consisted of the CS staff breaking down the week day-by-day and doing some interactive work with us in groups and individually. Let me be the first to say that the CS Staff is legit. These are people who genuinely want to see you succeed in the program and hope that you bring as much as you can to the proverbial table. It was refreshing to know that your semester away from home would be in good hands. 
Later that night, we traveled in assigned small groups for a dinner trip to an ethnic restaurant. My group ventured to Tandoor for Indian food. Awesome grub and fun conversations made for an very enjoyable time. 

My super-cool new friends and I have begun to explore the Division St./ Gold Coast night life a bit and have found that it's a great way to bookend our days. Whether we grab frozen yogurt or a beer, it's always a good time to catch up and let loose after a long and productive day of orientation. 
I suppose this should have been stated in the beginning of this entry, but I deeply apologize for my slacking off in my blogging. I have been without internet in my apartment since I've moved in and for those of you wondering how I've survived without it, it's easy. I talk to people. Read books. TRAVELED THE CITY.  Radical concept, right? Getting out and exploring does the soul so much good. 

Giddy Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment