Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bright Lights, Bigger City.

Friends, family, and bloggers alike, here is where I'll be posting about all my wonderful Chicago adventures for the Spring 2013 semester. 
Grant Park


I have often asked myself what attribute about studying abroad (or 45 minutes away from my college and hometown) entices me the most. Aside from all the fun thoughts of eating delicious food, edgy and hip night-life, mastering cta-transportation and eating more delicious food, I think I'm looking forward to the people most. Trust me, I know Chicago traffic and crowds is not ideal for most, but I can't think of a better place to be for my last semester of college than in a city I love, flooded with all walks of life. Not too long ago, a friend of mine took a photo of an article from a magazine and posted it to Instagram (an app used to make a regular photo look like a cooler, vintage-esqe version of itself) and it read the following: 

 Whoever the 'I' is in that quote knows what he or she is talking about. Chicago is work. It's gradual, sure, but think of everything that happens in a city like Chicago year round- sports games, seasonal events, conferences, festivals, concerts, etc., we are a bustling metropolis always on the move because there is always something to do or see. Nothing excites me more than knowing I will contribute to the busyness and all around success of Chicago's entertainment scene, especially in the field where there is so much talent and pizzazz to witness- theatre. 

Fact: Chicago is home to more than 200 small and large scale theaters. 200! Before studying theater at Trinity, I could probably name you 10 theaters that I might have only heard of, but never actually knew anything about the works they produced. Thanks to interim and theater courses, field trips, and summer internships, I have become so familiar with the mass amounts of theater the city has to offer; you'd be amazed at what's out there folks, really. Remember my aforementioned love for being around people? This would be where it really kicks in. Think of how many actors and employees Chicago must inhabit in order to run 200+ theaters. I'm not good at math, but I'm sure it's a really high number. 

In short, I do not have the faintest idea of what's to come of this semester. With move-in day approaching in a little over a week, I should probably start packing sooner rather than later and rewire my brain back to school mode and update resumes and portfolios and say my goodbyes and And ANd AND...and there's still so much to do in-between. Did I forget to mention that I'll be interning at a theater for the semester? It's quite the selling point if you ask me. Which theater? No idea. Although it's a major factor still to be determined, I know wherever I end up will be a stellar opportunity for me to work and learn and gain as much cultural expertise as I possibly can. So I urge you all to see what this semester in Chicago has in store for me. I'm pretty much an open book, er, blog, for that matter, and I hope these blurbs of my life will help you get an idea of what I'll be doing from now until May. 

Cheers,

Gina






No comments:

Post a Comment