Sunday, April 28, 2013

Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

No amount of time could have prepared me for the goodbye that was this weekend. Parting is such sweet sorrow, right? Well, what's so sweet about it? Bittersweet, maybe. But I want to have my cake and eat it too...because cake IS sweet and that counts for something. 


Before I (temporarily) moved back to the suburbs, I had so much to do before my time was up in Chicago. There was a check list, bucket list, packing list, that all had to be looked over and fulfilled. Let us begin with the day of Sun and work our way forward.

1.I had just given my YES to accepting an assistant directing gig with LOOKINGGLASS THEATRE for the beginning chunk of June. If I've taken away one thing from working in Chicago, it's that my networking skills are beastly. After a quick conversation with the resident dramaturg of the theatre, we communicated back and forth and WAHBAM- placement acquired. We're gonna have ourselves a really swell time.

2.Because I hardly ever check my school email, I decided one day to browse through the ol' trnty.edu. I received an email from the coordinators of the Senior Baccalaureate Ceremony which read that I was selected to give a personal testimony of my time at Trinity. I had been asked to speak at big-deal events before, but this time I was like, "You want me, to speak? How long do I have? Only 6 minutes?" That's not enough. I could go on for days about how rockin' Trinity is, so for those attending the ceremony, I'll do my best to meet the time. "PR," if you will. (That's runner's talk for 'faster than I was the last time I ran 34571904 miles).

3.My last college class of my life ended on Wednesday. As euphoric of a feeling that it was, I couldn't believe that that class it was actually my very last class. After being a part of the school system for 17 years, I'm about due for a break right? Use up my sick days or whatever. I'll need to figure out a new hobby that I can take on with all this new found time- I cannot STAND sitting around with nothing to do. Someone teach me how to knit.

4.Northlight has been far too kind to me these past 3 months. As an 'end of Gina's internship" celebration, we potlucked on Thursday and it was amazing. The NL staff were sad to have me go, but eager to see me back in June for camp which is awesome because it's as though I'm not actually leaving Northlight yet...? I can't wait to be back in Skokie, y'all.

5.Against my will, I was forced to say goodbye to one of the coolest roommates I'll ever have. Me and Julie was like peas and carrots (the Forrest Gump moment of the blog) and as we've proven in the past, if you don't know what you want to eat, get Taco Bell. So for one last time, we ventured to Wrigelyville for crunch wrap supremes and reflective conversations about life; Taco Bell knows more than its fair share of secrets now. #livemas

6.I was able to bookmark my Chicago experience with a trip to the Snuggery, the same way I started this whole party. I met up with my cousin and her boyfriend and celebrate one last night in the city before I moved back on Saturday. I already miss the Gold Coast life, the people, ruthless cabs, bar specials and routines, it never ceased to excite me. Doors open on the Left at Clark and Division.



It does the spirit lots of good to explore, in my opinion. I will always vouch for getting out of the comfort zone or familiarity of a space and venture out for some length of time; it certainly helped make me a more well-rounded individual. There's SO much to do and see in the time we think we have in life, but it won't happen unless you make it happen. And I'm not saying it'll be a cake walk (there I go again, talking about cake) but trust yourself. Be spontaneous and spend more money than you thought you had. Make friends fast. Tell jokes. Visit places even if they sound weird. 

Now is the time to try it all.   


No comments:

Post a Comment